Georgian London
Addresses and Locations

Inns, and Lodgings

London Home


Top of page     London Home
Name Route Address Specialty Description Locale Year
Bell   East Warwick Lane        
Bell to Buckinghamshire Uxbridge, Chalfonts, Amersham, Wendover   Horn, coach proprietor   Holburn to 1897
The Bell of the hoop         St Bride's Parish  
Belle Sauvage Northwesterly Bath, Exeter, Plymouth, Coventry, Carlisle, Manchester Ludgate Hill near St. Pauls   Native American and bell on sign    
Black Bull   Next door to Bell at Holburn      
Black Swan to York in 4 days after 1706 departed at 5am 3 times weekly Across st from Bell at Holburn        
Bolt and Ton West Fleet St.        
Brick Layers Arms to Kent 2/3 of a league from bridge     Southwark timber until rebuilt in 1881
BullEast Bishopgate St   Burgage the famous actor stayed here, also Anthony Bacon    
The Bull   East Side of Borough High St     Southwark Stowe's 1598 tax survey
Bull and Mouth (began as Boulogne Mouth) Northwestern Liverpool, Manchester, Holyhead, North Wales, Carlisle and Glasgow St. Martins Le Grande 3 gallery tiers could accommodate 30 Coaches in Yard Edward Sherman proprietor, M departure    
Christopher   East Side of Borough High St     Southwark Stowe's 1598 tax survey
Elephant and Castle Canterbury to Dover     Sign taken from cutlers Southwark 1674 rebuilt1824
Four Swans   Bishopgate       rebuilt after 1676 fires
The George Through Turnbridge Wells to Dover East Side of Borough High St Coaching inn  Southwark early 16th century, rebuilt in 1700's after burning
Golden Cross         Charring Cross  
Green Dragon   Bishopgate       
Horse Head (Nag's Head before 1700)       Chimney smoked    
King's Head (Pope's Head before reformation)   East Side of Borough High St Many Assemblies held here   Southwark rebuilt after 1676 fire to 1885
Oxford Arms Chester, Western Road Warwick Lane between Wall and Amen Corner M, W, F routes Edward Sherman proprietor   1500's rebuilt after 1676 fire to 1875
Queen's Head   East Side of Borough High St many carriers used to be harness seller Southwark from Tudor period
Queen's Head            
Sarasen's Head North Islington, Highgate, Barnet, Stamford, York Holborn Hill in Smithfield No Mail/Post just stages     among oldest in London
The Spurre   East Side of Borough High St     Southwark Stowe's 1598 tax survey
Star & Garter   Richmond Hill
overlooking the Park
Popular for
Wedding Receptions
Swan with Two Necks   Ladd Lane(modern Gresham St) William Chaplain Famous Coaching Stop    
Talbot (Tabard before 1600)   East Side of Borough High St beginning of Canterburry Tales   Southwark 13th century - 1866
White Hart   East Side of Borough High St Cromwell's meeting, patronized by the Kentish traveler   Southwark from 14th century rebuilt after 1676 fires
White Hart   in Fetter Lane       1400's
White Horse Cellars Western and Southern England near Arlington St. itinerant sellers of diaries, oranges Mail Coaches Piccadilly  


Top of Page     London Home
Name Address Specialty Description Locale Year
Adelphi         1790
Anderton's Hotel 162-164 Fleet St.   Wine Merchant in shop front   1820
Bath Hotel     genteel    
Bristol HotelCork St. Jane Austen stayed here in 1796      
British HotelJerymn St.        
Clarendon Hotel   French Chef
Jacquiers formerly cook
to Loius XVIII and Lord Darnley
Champagne 1 guinea
Dinner £ 3-4
Claridge's Hotel Brook St. William Claridge, former butler Claridge purchased the more fashionable Mivart's in 1855 and expanded to become the 5 star Hotel Mayfair
Commercial Hotel Skinner St.       1803
Cook's Hotel Dover St.        
Covent Garden Hotel          
Eastey's Family Hotel Southhampton St. David Garrick lived here      
Fladong's Hotel Oxford St.   Patronized by Naval men    
Grand Hotel       Covent Garden 1790
Grillon's Hotel 7 Albemarle St. Louis XVIII stayed here in 1814      
Ibbetson's Hotel    very economical
patronized by Clergy & scholars
Limmer's Hotel   good plain English dinners Evening resort for Corinthians    
Mivart's HotelBrook St. M. Mivart proprietor purchased by William Claridge who expanded his hotel next door Mayfair 1808-1855
Nerot's Hotel23-24 King St.   former townhouse of Earl of Ranelagh St. James 1776- 1811 removed to Clifford St.
Old Hummums Hotel       Covent Garden 1830
Osborne's Hotel Adam St.   genteel accommodation for families and single gentlemen Adelphi Terrace  
Peelr's Hotel 177-178 Fleet St.        
Pulsford Hotel Piccadilly & Berkely St.       1817
Pulteney Hotel 105 Piccadilly Famous for flush toilets Czar stayed here in 1814 Piccadilly  
Reddish's Hotel     genteel    
Richardson's Hotel          
Royal Hotel     genteel    
Stephen's Hotel Bond Street Fashionable Hotel Patronized by Army Officers & Gentlemen
Strangers turned away
with claim of reserved tables

Top of Page
Regency Ring
Regency Ring

Front Door

London Home
Site Map
Site Map

This site last updated March 2003 by webmaster