Georgian London
Addresses and Locations


Prisons



London Home

Newgate

Newgate Prison Newgate was built in 1188 but was rebuilt in 1770 after it had been destroyed in the Gordon riots In the first half of the 19th century Newgate Prison was London's chief prison and was where prisoners were held before execution. In 1783 the gallows were moved from Tyburn to Newgate. There was a Common area for poor prisoners and a State area for those who could afford more comfortable accommodation. These sections on the prison were further divided between debtors and felons.


Top of Page    London Prisons

King's Bench Prison

The first King's Bench Prison in Borough High Street, Southwark, was demolished in 1754. The rebuilt prison was mainly used for debtors or for people who had been convicted of libel. King's Bench was a much hated prison and had a reputation for being filthy and overcrowded. King's Bench Prison was a profit making institution Prisoners had to pay the marshall and his gaolers for their keep. By paying a large sum prisoners could serve their sentence within a three mile radius outside the prison walls. Prisoners also had to pay a release fee at the end of their sentence and if they could not afford it they had to remain in prison.

Top of Page    London Prisons


Charing Cross Pillory

Charing Cross Pillory


Top of Page    London Prisons



Top of page
Regency Ring
Regency Ring
Site Map
Site Map

Front Door

London Home

This site last updated March 2003 by webmaster