Messrs. Pellatt and Green, Glass-makers

Messrs. Pellatt and Green, glass-makers to the king, From Ackermann's Repository of arts, literature, commerce,  manufactures, fashions and politics (1809)

The plate from Ackermann's Repository of arts, literature, commerce, manufactures, fashions and politics (1809) "is a representation of a shew-room, 57 feet long and 21 broad, fitted up with great taste, and forming part of the extensive premises of Messrs. Pellatt and Green, glass-makers to the king, St. Paul's churchyard. In this room is exhibited an elegant assortment of glass, china and earthen-ware, in a word, of all those articles of humble utility, or costly decoration, which are to be found in the principal glass-shops of this metropolis."

A decorative Printed Invoice issued by Green & Pellatt, Glass-Makers to the King, Falcon Glass House, Surrey Side of Blackfriars Bridge, addressed to 'The Commissioners for Lighting the Town of Brighton' for the supply of Crates of Lamps to Christmas 1824 still exists. Printed, with manuscript insertions and a note by Green & Pellatt about further supplies. It is 12 x 8 inches. Folded for transmission. In good condition. London, 12 January 1825.

sulphide scent bottle with Princess Charlotte cameoGlass sulphides, also called Cameo Incrustations, are opaque, usually white, medallions or figurines encased in glass and used to decorate clear glass objects. They often appear on the sides of decanters, jugs, bottles and tumblers, and they are a very popular form of paperweight decoration. The name sulphide comes from the use of sulphur in the process of manufacturing sulphides in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The sulphide itself is usually made from a clay (or ceramic) and glass paste and is completely encased in glass. The early 19th century patents (innovative English glassmaker Apsley Pellatt (1791-1863) in 1819 in England and Pierre Honore Boudon de Saint-Amans in1818 in France) involved opening up a blown glass bulb while it was still molten, and placing the sulphide inside, then sealing up the opening (by pinching together the molten glass) and sucking out the air to draw the glass and the sulphide together. The most famous and successful producers of sulpides were Apsley Pellat in England from 1819 to the mid-century followed by Baccarat in France. Sulphides are sometimes called "Cameo Incrustations" or "Cameo Encrustations" and Apsley Pellatt originally called them "Crystallo-Ceramie". Their popularity as a luxury item was harmed when cheap imitations were made in which the design was pressed into a glass object, leaving an intaglio impression, which was then filled with plaster of paris and glued onto the surface of the glass vessel.

Pillar molding, a variant of the blown-molding process by which ornamental domestic ware could be made cheaply was patented in 1835, by Thomas Green, who gave it the name of Roman pillar moulding. The exterior was corrugated vertically or swirled, while the interior remained smooth. This patent was licensed to others, and a price list issued by Apsley Pellatt illustrates several examples. This was made in color, too.






Top of page
Georgian Index Home
Front Door

Shopping Home

Business Index

Site Map

© S.W. This site last updated March 2003 by webmaster